Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wednesday, July 29th

Yesterday and today were kindof sad and difficult. We had a couple of chipmunks not make it through the night last night and that is always really hard. Today we ran the other two on the remaining temperatures that they didnt run on yesterday and let them go. We also picked up forty of our traps from one site since we hadn't caught anything there in awhile. We are beginning to clean up our stuff and get ready to move on saturday. We are going to Gothic, a research station in Colorado near Crested Butte. There we will study Golden Mantle Ground Squirrels and Pikas among others.

Sadly we only have complete data from four Chipmunks when we were supposed to have finished 12 during this trip. Tomorrow we have the possibility of running four more but that still only puts us at eight total.

I just watched a fox run by the screen door and try to pounce on a ground squirrel outside. He missed and took off toward the front of the lodge for more... I dont know if he caught one but saw him trot off into the woods. When I went to see if he caught anything I looked up to a buck and a doe eating the bushes in front of the lodge... I will miss that, the wild side of this lodge... so cool! Thats about the only thing I'll miss aside from the mountains.

Oh, I am deathly afraid of bats and yesterday I successfully moved a baby bat from the floor of the great room outside. I am very proud of the fact that I would even try! I got pictures on my cell phone!

Here are a couple of pictures of the chipmunks we've been working on:

Least Chipmunk in the Chamber

Least in a trap

Little Least Chipmunk in another Chamber

This is a picture that was taken while we were up at yellowstone. This is a Golden Mantle Ground Squirrel. Lots of people confuse them with chipmunks. We will be studying them in Colorado. Isn't he cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment