Monday, August 3, 2009

Monday, August 3rd

Today we went out to trap pikas. We didnt catch anything till about 1pm. We caught a juvenile pika and ran him through the program. Thankfully he was ok! We were worried about them because they're a little sensitive.

The only issue with these pikas is that they live up on these rocky slopes where the rocks have slid off the mountain and they usually live above 10,000 feet. We hiked up and down that darn cliff 5 times today! I have thighs like a beast! The bigger rocks are usually pretty stable but all of the smaller ones shift when you step on them, I twisted my ankle and knee several times today, I was hopind Id get to break my left one and come home!! No dice.

To all of you who are dying from the heat of August... I touched snow on Sunday... SNOW! It is right near where we are doing our research, I could touch it every day if I wanted, ha!


Dr. Wilson up the rocks where we set traps

Can you see the pika?

Heres a baby pika, soo freaking cute!

Adult pika

Our baby pika in the pika chamber.

ps the pika in the second picture is perched on a darker gray rock just right of the center of the picture!

3 comments:

  1. Dude! Haven't checked the page for a few days...lots-a-happenin!

    Glad Scott got to come visit...looks like you guys had lots of fun!

    The pictures are awesome btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that little thing looks like a mixture of a baby bunny and a hampster haha! Are they mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way they are not mean! They are the sweetest little guys ever.

    ReplyDelete